2020 property tax notices will be mailed out on June 30, 2020.
Payments are due by Sept. 1, 2020.
Please pay early to ensure payments are processed on time to avoid a 6% penalty on Sept. 2. Taxpayers who do not receive their tax notice by Tuesday, July 7, 2020, should contact the Town Office at 780-987-8300.
Even though property tax dollars are collected in Devon, it doesn't all stay within the Town. Under provincial legislation, Devon must collect property taxes on behalf of Alberta Education and the Leduc Foundation to pay for education and affordable seniors housing. The municipal tax rate will be established for 2020 on June 22, 2020.
Property taxes are normally due June 30 each year, however due to COVID-19 we have changed the date to Sept. 1, 2020 for 2020.
There are several options for payment including:
- In person at the Town Office at 1 Columbia Avenue West, Devon, AB
- Our pre-authorized plan (PAP) to make convenient monthly payments
- Electronic payments - note, not all financial institutions have the same payment deadlines. Please ensure you check with yours for cut-off and processing times when paying online or by phone
- Postdated cheques may be dropped off with the detachable portion of the tax notice at the Town Office anytime at the front reception
The Town of Devon's assessment and tax timeline is as follows:
- End of March: Property Assessment Notices are mailed out
- April-May: Staff available to respond to questions about your property assessment
- Late May: Property assessment appeals must be received by the clerk of the Assessment Review Board
- June 22, 2020: Council sets the tax rates for the next year
- End of June: Property tax bills are mailed out
- Sept. 1, 2020: Property tax payments are due on Sept. 1, 2020.
See our Finance FAQ here for more information!